EIP provides a variety of test scoring services that are available to all UCLA Instructors. The overall goal of the test scoring service is to provide an efficient and accurate means of grading multiple-choice exams that will effectively generate reports to suit the instructor's needs. Such reports should be used by instructors to improve the testing process itself.
You may click on the following topic links to jump to that particular section on this webpage:
- Using Data Files with Gradebook
- TSS Check-in Details Form
- Test Scoring Service Policies and Instructions
Please call 310-825-6939 to schedule an appointment. Please be prepared to provide the following information about the exam:
Instructor name, Department, Name of person bringing in the exams and their contact number, Number of Exams, Number of Test Versions, Number of Students
Always try to schedule your final exam scoring appointments early. Our busiest time is always finals week, and often we have such a great demand for our service that appointments overflow into the following week.
- All test scoring appointments must be scheduled at least two working days in advance.
- The IDENTIFICATION # field is a REQUIRED field on student response sheets.
- If more than one answer key is used, answer sheets must be separated by answer key.
- No tests are to be left unattended. Please be prepared to wait 15 - 20 minutes for processing.
For more information on using our files with Gradebook, please visit our webpage here.
The cover sheet for scoring appointments is available as a fillable PDF document by clicking on this link: TSS Check-in Details Form.
You may fill in fields and use the checkboxes and save it for repeated use. Please print this and bring to your appointment, or fill it out in person.
1. All scoring appointments must be made two business days in advance. If an appointment is unable to be kept, we will re-schedule as soon as our schedule permits. Please call us in advance to cancel.
2. If we have made a mistake in scoring the exam, we will re-score it as soon as possible.
3. If an exam needs to be re-scored because a question needs to have a different answer or be removed, then we will re-schedule a new appointment slot as soon as our schedule permits.
4. We will not be held responsible for items that are left overnight, left outside our office or are lost in the campus mail. This is a score-while-you-wait service. Please use our designated waiting room while we process your exam, which usually takes 15-20 minutes. If for some reason an instructor or assistant is unable to stay for the duration of the test scoring, we will return exam sheets and reports by campus mail if they are not picked up by the following morning.
We require all users of the service to fill out the TSS Check-in Details Form when they arrive for the appointment. This form provides us with contact information about the instructor or assistant and important information needed to score the exam. On this form the instructor may specify which type of reports will be needed. Both the TSS Check-in Details Form and answer sheets may be picked up in advance at any time our office is open. The form may be downloaded, please see above.
Answer sheets must be organized prior to the appointment as follows:
• An answer key is required for each test, version or sub-test to be scored.
• If multiple versions are to be scored they must be separated.
• All sheets need to be turned facing the same way.
• All information must be filled out in pencil.
• Name and ID number bubbles must start at the left edge of the field box.
• The ID # field is required on student response sheets, however this number does not have to be a UID. Blanks will be entered for students who do not provide a number.
• There is no need to alphabetize the sheets, the scoring software will sort by alphabetical order for reports.
We currently offer a standard set of reports which you may choose either paper printouts or PDFs. We recommend receiving the PDFs by email. The reports are:
• Summary Page
• Score Frequency
• Roster of Results
• Test Item Analysis
• Student Detail
Our current software does not allow for multiple correct answers. On an answer key a question can have:
• One correct answer bubbled in
• All answers bubbled in, therefore any response counted as correct (giving the point to all students)
• No answer bubbled in, therefore the question is not counted
We do not have the capability to merge test versions at this time. Our scanners are only able to read our specialized forms, no other answer sheets or photocopies may be used.
Evaluation of Instruction Program (EIP) Office
Appointment times: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM