Enrolling and Advising Students: Standard enrollment procedures

An Informal Summary of University Policies, Procedures, and Resources for Undergraduate Instruction

OID: Faculty Consultation

Enrolling and Advising Students

Standard enrollment procedures

Schedule of Classes

The quarterly Schedule of Classes lists courses by department, number, and instructor, and has information on enrollment restrictions, class meeting times and locations, and final examination times. It also has information about registration and enrollment deadlines, add/drop deadlines, academic policies and procedures, official notices, and counseling contacts. It has search features for class units, instructors, and GE courses. It is available online at https://sa.ucla.edu/ro/public/soc.

The Schedule of Classes is published in early November for Winter Quarter, in early February for Spring Quarter, and in early June for Fall Quarter. The Fall edition lists tentative courses for Winter and Spring quarters.


MyUCLA gives UCLA students real-time access to their University academic records. Students use MyUCLA for enrollment, as well as for viewing their grades. MyUCLA is accessed by logging on to http://my.ucla.edu/.

Permission to Enroll

If a course indicates that “consent of instructor” or “consent of department” is required to enroll, students must obtain from the instructor a special “Permission to Enroll” (PTE) authorization number that allows them to enroll through MyUCLA. The PTE process allows faculty members or their departments to regulate the enrollment in a course. Instructors can also use PTE numbers to override the computer enrollment procedures or to enroll students beyond the limit. However, the Registrar and the Fire Marshal discourages enrolling students beyond the room capacity; instructors should be forewarned that if they over-enroll their course, it may be impossible for the Registrar’s Office to find a larger classroom, especially if the class is scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

Drop deadlines

Students may drop courses through MyUCLA without incurring a fee or notation to their transcript on or before Friday of second week; however, it is each student’s responsibility to satisfy their financial aid and enrollment requirements. The student’s counseling unit can advise him or her of any requirements if necessary. During weeks three and four, students who drop a nonimpacted course after the second week deadline via MyUCLA will incur a penalty fee. Any drop after fourth week will also lead to a notation on the student’s transcript.

Students may only drop impacted courses beyond the second week deadline with their instructor’s consent. Consent should only be given in the event of an exceptional or extreme circumstance (such as severe illness). Students must obtain a Late Impacted Drop Petition or a Retroactive Drop Petition from their counseling unit in order to begin the drop process. Once the student obtains your signature, the petition will be reviewed by a committee within the student’s College or School. If the student is unaware of drop deadlines or procedures, please advise them to contact their counseling unit or refer to the Schedule of Classes at https://sa.ucla.edu/ro/public/soc.

Other enrollment procedures


Traditionally, the University has permitted interested individuals, including registered students of the University, to attend lectures without formally enrolling in the class. There are no official arrangements for auditing a course in regular session at UCLA. The student makes arrangements with the faculty member to sit in on his or her class, generally without participating in discussions, exams, or written papers. The instructor should make the appropriate arrangements concerning the student’s participation.

Cell phone and pager policy

Any disruption of a class due to the audible beeping or use of cell phones or pagers is treated as a violation of Section 102.13 of the UCLA Student Conduct Code and subjects a student to sanctions up to and including suspension or dismissal. Cell phones and pagers must be turned off while in classes, libraries, or other quiet areas.

Authority regarding enrollment and attendance

A student can be denied enrollment or dropped from a course because he or she has not satisfied the course prerequisite or requirement (Statewide Academic Senate Regulation SR 542). In such cases, if a student appears on the course roster, the instructor should tell him or her to drop the course; the instructor should write a letter to the College noting the reasons. Please note: A student is prevented by MyUCLA from enrolling in lower-division Letters and Science courses with enforced course prerequisites, if those prerequisites have not been met. Some courses with prerequisites may only be coded in “warning status,” which allows enrollment but informs the student that the course prerequisite has not been met. Courses with enforced prerequisites are based on the approved “course approval” submitted through campus channels and published in the General Catalog or quarterly supplements. Enrollment information is also available on-line at https://sa.ucla.edu/ro/public/soc.

Faculty members cannot drop a student from a course for non-academic reasons such as disruptive behavior or excessive absences unless attendance is an academic requirement of the course because of laboratory work, participation, or other integral aspects of the course. If a student is repeatedly disruptive during class, the faculty member should contact the Dean of Students’ office (310-825-3871). The Dean is responsible for student conduct issues and strongly recommends that faculty members call to discuss their options. In emergency situations when a student has serious behavioral problems, the Campus Police can be reached by dialing 911 on any campus phone.

Policy regarding class notes

Notes or recordings made by students are for purposes of individual or group study or for other noncommercial purposes reasonably arising from the student’s membership in the class or the University. Permission to make notes or recordings falls within the instructor’s discretion as informed by instructional purposes, classroom order, property interests, or other reasonable issues arising in the academic context. Notes and recordings may not be exchanged or distributed for commercial purposes, for compensation, or for any other purpose other than study, either between students or between a student and a third party. Unless authorized by the University in advance and explicitly permitted by the instructor, commercial use of class notes or recordings constitutes an unauthorized commercial activity in violation of the UCLA Regulations on Activities, Registered Organizations, and Use of Properties, Section IV, Paragraph A (https://www.events.ucla.edu/plan-an-event/UCLARegulations72010_1.pdf). Students who violate this policy are subject to University discipline.

Individual instructors retain intellectual property rights in lecture material, pursuant to U.S. copyright law and California Civil Code 980(a)(1). Misuse of course notes derived from lecture material may also subject an individual to legal proceedings brought by the instructor.

Pursuant to the guidelines reviewed by the UCLA Academic Senate (1973), lecture note subscription services are permitted, if authorized in advance by the University and if approved by the instructor. The Lecture Notes service offered by the Associated Students UCLA is currently authorized by the University to provide a course notes subscription service for particular classes. For such classes, the note taker is approved in advance by the instructor, and the instructor may review the notes before their distribution and sale through the UCLA Store Lecture Notes office in Ackerman Union. The list of classes with such a subscription service is available in Ackerman Union.

Nothing in this policy precludes an instructor from posting the course lecture notes, which they prepare or authorize to be prepared, on the UCLA-provided course website for the class, which the instructor controls. Students permitted by the instructor to review such course lecture notes are reminded that these policies apply to their use of any such course lecture notes posted on the course website by the instructor.

Special Programs Enrollment

Concurrent enrollment

Concurrent enrollment--defined as taking courses during regular sessions (Fall, Winter, and Spring terms) for credit at UCLA and, at the same time, at another non-UC institution, including UCLA Extension--is not permitted except in extraordinary circumstances, and no credit is given for such courses unless the approval of the UCLA College or school has been obtained by petition prior to enrollment.

Credit by examination

Credit by examination can be earned only in accordance with general policies established by the Faculties of the respective colleges and schools and the Graduate Council (Divisional Senate Regulation A-335). Within the College, eligibility for credit by examination is usually limited to students who have been approved as Departmental Scholars or who are admitted to a departmental honors program or UCLA Honors Programs. Credit by examination may not be used to gain credit for prior knowledge, audited courses, or courses taken elsewhere. Please advise your students that petitions for credit by examination (with fee) are available only through an appointment with a counselor in the Honors Programs Office, A311 Murphy Hall.

Office hours

Faculty members are expected to post and to keep regular office hours open to students without prior appointment. Office hours are important for students to address problems related to the course and to develop personal relationships with faculty. Because UCLA is large and complex and many students live some distance from the campus, it is difficult for some students to develop the sense of community that is important to their academic success. It is, therefore, important that instructors encourage students to come to their office hours. Depending upon the size of the class, instructors might consider requiring students to visit their office hours once during the first weeks of the quarter; undergraduates report that subsequent visits to office hours are much easier and less stressful than the first visit. Many instructors also add additional office hours or set up student appointments immediately before examinations and paper deadlines, when students are most eager to discuss course material.

Students sometimes turn to faculty for general advice and guidance on a variety of subjects such as choosing useful electives to enhance their careers or improving their chances of getting into graduate school. Instructors are not accountable for dispensing this type of informal advice. For specific queries regarding scholarship, major, and degree requirements, however, faculty should not attempt to answer these questions unless they feel certain they have the correct and current information. Faculty members should refer students to the appropriate advising office in their department, College, or school. Staff counselors and faculty advisors are trained to deal with the complexities of degree and major requirements. Letters and Science students may also use the modeling capabilities of the campus degree audit system, available in department counselors’ offices. Erroneous advice from faculty will not excuse a student from the requirements. It is often a good idea to telephone the department’s academic advisor or the staff counselors in the school or College when consulting with the student. Instructors will, in that way, not only give the student the best advice possible but will also protect themselves from the effects of student misunderstandings and misinterpretations.

During office hours, faculty members may be the first people to notice that a student is having problems, so they should familiarize themselves with the campus resources for counseling and advising. The resources fall into four areas: background and preparation for college work, career planning, personal problems, and individualized teaching and tutoring, are discussed below.

FERPA guidelines for faculty

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is federal legislation enacted in 1974 that controls student records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. Although administrators must be concerned with a larger scope of student records, professors, instructors, and teaching assistants need to be aware that the following information within their usual purview is FERPA protected: grades, test scores, graded work, identification numbers (including university I.D. numbers and social security numbers), and student class attendance. Please note that information cannot be released to anyone other than the student—including fellow students, employers, or a parent/guardian—without written permission by the student or a legal directive (see “Examination and Grading at UCLA” for further details.)

Counseling and advising students

Academic advising

Instructors tend to focus on the classroom experience as the critical activity in a university education, but how and what students learn depends on much more than the few hours a week they spend in the classroom. Effective faculty and staff counseling can help students make the most of their UCLA education. Although advising is an important part of faculty teaching responsibility, students often perceive it as a neglected role. According to surveys of UCLA students and alumni, faculty are generally viewed as being unavailable outside the classroom to help students.

Most departments have their own advising programs, and students should be referred there for advising on issues relating to their majors.

Academic Advancement Program (AAP), (1209 Campbell Hall) is the nation's largest undergraduate retention program, a multi-racial, multi-ethnic, and multi-cultural program, promoting academic excellence among the 6,000 UCLA students AAP serves. Students are eligible to be in AAP if their academic profiles and personal backgrounds may impact their university experience and their retention and graduation from UCLA. They are also eligible if they are part of any federally-funded program that requires counseling, tutoring, or mentoring. See http://www.ugeducation.ucla.edu/aap/

College Academic Counseling (CAC), (A316 Murphy Hall) provides UCLA undergraduates with counseling on academic regulations and procedures, course selection, preparation for graduate and professional programs, selection of appropriate majors, and the options and alternatives available to enhance a UCLA education. Their website details important regulations and policies for College undergraduates: http://cac.ucla.edu/#/

The College Honors Programs (A-311 Murphy Hall) provides an exceptional educational experience to a diverse group of high-achieving students in an environment that nurtures the growth of the whole student, academically, socially, emotionally, and intellectually. Programs and services include Honors Collegium, Departmental Scholars, Individual Majors Program, Phi Beta Kappa, Honors Scholarships, and specialized counseling and support services for College honors students. See http://www.honors.ucla.edu/.

Instructors who would like to offer an Honors course in their department, teach an Honors seminar, develop an Honors Collegium course, or participate in the College Honors Program in some other way should consult with their department chair and call the Assistant Dean of Honors and Undergraduate Programs (310-825-1752).

In the College of Letters and Science, there are four principal advising units: College Academic Counseling (CAC), Academic Advancement Program (AAP), Student Athletics, and Honors Programs. Each unit has been created to address the respective needs on its target population. It is important that students know which advising office to go to in order to meet with a full-time counselor or process College petitions and related requests. For a full list of College counseling resources and special programs offered by the College see http://www.ugeducation.ucla.edu/.

In the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (6426 Boelter Hall), the Office of Academic and Student Affairs counselors advise students on general degree requirements, planning academic programs for all new students, scholastic difficulties, petitions to the Dean, evaluation of advanced standing credit, etc. Peer counselors are also available for consultation. New undergraduate students are required to obtain counseling prior to enrollment in classes.

The School of the Arts and Architecture Office of Student Services (2200 Broad Art Center) provides information on University and School requirements and all undergraduate majors in the School. Counselors are available by appointment and on a walk-in basis. The office works closely with the counselors in the various departments of the School to assist students in their academic planning. Students interested in changing their major to architectural studies, art, design/media arts, ethnomusicology, music, or world arts and cultures must consult the appropriate departmental counselor. To learn more about the School of the Arts and Architecture see http://www.arts.ucla.edu/.

The School of Nursing (2-200 Factor Building)) is ranked in the top 5% of the nation’s nursing schools. Student affairs staff provide guidance throughout every step of the Nursing degree programs. For more information see www.nursing.ucla.edu

The School of Theater, Film and Television (103 East Melnitz Building) provides academic counseling and a wide range of academic support services for its students through the School’s Student Services Office. This office also provides prospective students with admission information and advising for all of the School’s degree programs.

Student Athletics, (George Kneller Academic Center in the JD Morgan Center), provides comprehensive academic support for nearly 700 student-athletes in 22 sports. Services include academic counseling and advising, tutorial services, an academic mentor program, graduate school advising, career development education, and student-athlete academic orientation. The adjacent computer lab is open for student-athletes to use from 8:00a.m. - 10:00p.m. Study rooms are available for team study halls, academic appointments, and study groups/review sessions. See here.


Career Advising

UCLA Career Center

The campus resource for career education, exploration, and employment is the UCLA Career Center (501 Strathmore Building, 310-206-1915). The Career Center offers individual career advising and counseling to help students assess their skills, interests, and personality, make and re-evaluate career decisions, and investigate career options in business and industry, government, nonprofit organizations, and education.

The Center’s services and resources include career counseling, graduate and professional school planning and preparation assistance, career fairs, the Campus Interview Program, 24-hour Internet access to the Career Center’s exclusive BruinView employment and internship listings, on-line resume services, and Cyberspace, a convenient on-premise computer laboratory. A multimedia collection of 3,000 books, periodicals, videos, directories, and other materials makes the Career Center Library one of the largest and most comprehensive career information resources in the nation. The Career Center workshop series includes Majors and Careers, Career Options, Skills Assessment, Resume Writing, Interviewing, and Job Search Strategies. Most workshops are offered several times each quarter.

Career Center Internship and Study Abroad Services has helped over 20,000 Bruins get relevant work experience in the U.S. and abroad. Students find internships in the greater Los Angeles area, Sacramento, Washington, D.C., and other U.S. cities. The Center also provides connections to international programs in over 30 countries. See http://career.ucla.edu for a complete list of programs and services.


Personal problems

The Office of the Dean of Students (1206 Murphy; 310-825-3871) is a good referral source for students with legal and more general problems in their lives. The Office of the Dean of Students strives to provide both support and challenge for UCLA Students. It supports students through the advisement of student honor societies, and by recognizing students who have made outstanding contributions to the UCLA community. It also challenges students by holding them accountable for their actions, and holding them to the highest standards of academic and personal integrity. See http://www.deanofstudents.ucla.edu/.

If a student complains about a campus office, instructors might suggest that he or she discuss the problem with the Office of Ombuds Services (501 Strathmore Building, Suite 105; 310-825-7627). This a place where members of the UCLA community–students, faculty, staff and administrators can go for assistance in resolving conflicts, disputes or complaints on an informal basis. In order to afford visitors the greatest freedom in using its services, the Office is independent, neutral and confidential. See http://www.ombuds.ucla.edu/

Student Legal Services (SLgS) (70 Dodd Hall; 310-825-9894) provides legal counseling and assistance regarding a wide range of legal issues to all currently registered and enrolled UCLA students. SLgS is able to help students with a variety of problems, including: landlord/tenant relations; accident and injury problems; domestic violence and harassment; criminal matters; divorces and other family law matters; automobile purchase, repair, and insurance problems; health care, credit, and financial aid issues; and consumer problems. SLgS also frequently assists students with problems they have with other UCLA departments in such areas as housing, financial aid, harassment, discrimination, ADA compliance, student discipline, and faculty misconduct.

SLgS provides students with the information they need to assess their options and, in appropriate cases, will negotiate on behalf of the student, as well as draft letters and legal documents for the student. Students may make appointments by telephone or in person, and there is nominal fee for personal services. The office is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., from September through June. See http://www.studentlegal.ucla.edu/.

The Student Psychological Services (SPS) (John Wooden Center West, 310-825-0768) should be used if a faculty member believes that the student could benefit from professional psychological help. Occasionally, students experience problems with an important relationship, school pressures, family dysfunction, substance use and abuse, or interpersonal conflicts.

A diverse and multidisciplinary staff of psychologists, social workers, and psychiatrists respond to the very broad range of student concerns and problems by offering crisis intervention, brief psychotherapy, group therapy, biofeedback, and/or medication. SPS maintains a strict policy on confidentiality. Registered students of every age and academic achievement can use this service.

Individualized teaching and tutoring

The campus has an excellent academic support network to serve students who wish to improve their academic skills and performance or to supplement lectures with more personal interactive learning experiences. These academic support programs serve both students who need to improve their skills and students who wish to enhance their education. Instructors should announce the appropriate opportunities to their classes at the beginning of each term.

Academic skills workshops

The College of Letters and Science Counseling Services offers a wide variety of Academic Workshops, such as Improving Academic Success Skills (e.g., Time Management, Study Skills, Test-taking Techniques); Planning for the Future (e.g., Preparing for Graduate Schools and Obtaining Career Positions); and Finding Your Academic Focus (e.g., Choosing a Major, Identifying Your Learning Strengths, and How to Become an Academic High Achiever). Workshops are offered throughout the school year in 203 Covel Commons. A specific schedule giving dates and times of all workshops can be obtained from the program coordinator at 310-825-9315 and http://www.counseling.ucla.edu/Workshops-Traninings.

Academic support for student athletes

Covel Tutorials for Student Athletes (209 Sunset Village Commons; 310-206-7526) provides course-specific tutoring, by trained undergraduate and graduate peer tutors, mainly in the evening to accommodate athletes’ practice schedules. By emphasizing critical thinking and effective academic skills, tutoring fosters students’ independent learning. Student athletes should request tutoring early in the quarter.

English mastery for second-language speaking students


The Covel Tutorials ESL Tutoring Lab (228 Sunset Village Commons; 310-206-1491; Ed Frankel, Coordinator) offers free individual assistance with English grammar, idioms, pronunciation, listening comprehension, and composition for second-language speaking students, with priority for those enrolled in ESL classes. Tutoring is provided by experienced graduate students. Students should call the ESL Lab for appointments.

Foreign language instruction, film media and music recordings

The Instructional Media Laboratory (270 Powell; 310-206-1211) offers audio-taped lessons that coordinate with specific texts used in language courses, providing opportunities for individual mastery of foreign language comprehension and pronunciation skills. Recordings of drama, poetry, and music are also available, as are a variety of video and audio materials. Faculty may also request that their own media and/or media from the Instructional Media Collection & Services be placed on reserve for on-site viewing by their students in the Media Lab. See The Media Lab.

Improving writing and reading comprehension

Through the Covel Tutorials Composition Tutoring Lab (228 Sunset Village Commons; 310-206-1491), trained undergraduate peer tutors help students generate, organize, and revise papers for any UCLA course. Tutors can also work with students to improve reading comprehension and efficiency. Students should call the Composition Lab for free individual appointments.

Prepatory programs

Each summer, the Academic Advancement Program (AAP) six-week Freshman and Transfer Summer Programs (F/TSP; 2211 Campbell; 310-206-1571) introduce entering AAP students to the academic rigor and demands of the university and the wide range of campus programs, services, and resources. Students enroll in two university courses and receive close personal attention from faculty, teaching assistants, tutors, professional counselors, and peer counselors.

Tutorials for historically underrepresented and low-income students

The Academic Advancement Program (AAP) (1201 Campbell; 310-206-1571) offers free tutoring by trained AAP upper-division undergraduates in over 450 courses to all historically underrepresented first-generation college, and low-income students who want to strengthen their quantitative reasoning, reading, writing, and critical thinking skills while mastering course materials. AAP tutoring is primarily done in groups of three to five students except for composition courses, which are tutored almost exclusively one-to-one. Tutors are trained to provide personal as well as academic support. Students must sign up during the first three weeks of each quarter. See http://www.ugeducation.ucla.edu/aap/.

Tutoring for mathematics and science courses

The Covel Math/Science Tutorials (230 Sunset Village Commons; 310-206-6965) provides weekly small group tutorials and drop-in tutoring, led by trained undergraduate and graduate peer tutors, for selected math and science courses: Mathematics 1, 3A, 3B, 3C, 31A, 31B, 31E, 32A, Physics6A, 6B, 8A, 8B; Life Science 1, 2, and 3; and Chemistry 11A, 11B, 132A, 132B, 153A. Tutorials emphasize learning strategies and analytic problem-solving skills. Students must sign up for group tutorials during the first week of class. Drop-in schedules are posted in the Lab.

Research opportunities for undergraduates

The opportunity to participate in cutting edge research and creative activity is one of the outstanding benefits of attending a research university. UCLA offers undergraduate students many ways to take advantage of this opportunity, from the entry-level Student Research Program -SRP (courses numbered 99) and advanced research seminars and research tutorials (courses numbered 190-199), to departmental honors programs. The two Undergraduate Research Centers’ staff helps students define their place in the larger university research community and provides information about undergraduate research programs, scholarships, celebrations, and publications.
See http://www.ugresearchsci.ucla.edu/srpintro.htm