45th Annual Teaching Assistant Conference
September 24th and 25th, 2018 (Monday and Tuesday of Fall Week 0)
Each year, the Office of Instructional Development TA Training Program organizes a conference to provide pedagogical training and resource information to both new and continuing TAs. Even if you will not TA in 2018–19, you are welcome to attend the conference in preparation for future teaching assignments.
This year, our annual conference will meet for two days—the Monday and Tuesday of Week 0 on September 24th and 25th. The conference will kick off with a complimentary breakfast and an informative resource fair that connects TAs with essential campus resources for undergraduate teaching. We will start our first day together with a keynote lecture by expert faculty to introduce you to UCLA's undergraduates and their needs.
Throughout the two days, you will have the opportunity to attend a variety of specialized workshops and panels on topics ranging from lesson planning and assessment & grading to preparing a teaching portfolio and improving communication in our multicultural classrooms. On day two, we will come back together to listen to and ask questions of a panel of Distinguished Teaching Award-winning faculty and TAs. They will answer your questions about how to not only survive the first quarter of teaching, but to excel in your classrooms. We will close the second day of teaching workshops with complimentary coffee and sweets. Don't miss it!
- Learn strategies for classroom management, the first day of class, and lesson planning
- Ask experienced TAs and professors your questions about teaching students in crisis
- Discuss how to lay the foundations for successful student writing
- Learn strategies for teaching and grading problem-solving in math and the sciences
- Find out about leading dynamic discussions and labs
- Develop cross-cultural communication and conflict resolution skills
- Work on your teaching portfolio or teaching philosophy statement
- And more!
Last year most of our workshops filled quickly. Please register now to reserve your spot!